With innovation at the heart of its DNA, Coca-Cola France considered sustainability, well-being and creativity as the priorities for the fit-out of its new headquarters office space in Paris.
In January 2015, Coca Cola Entreprise and Coca-Cola France moved into Noda, a 22,100 square metre office development by Wereldhave in the Issy-les-Moulineaux district, on the banks of the River Seine. Wereldhave already achieved a 93.2 % BREEAM Outstanding rating for the shell of the building, and Coca-Cola were determined to continue this ‘Outstanding’ tradition, ensuring the same BREEAM rating was applied to the fit-out of the office space.
“Our offices reflect the values of Coca-Cola: wellness, creativity, innovation and sparkle” says Sophie Digard, Director of Human Resources, at Coca Cola France. “We paid particular attention to providing our employees with offices that support their individual well-being through the selection of materials, work spaces and recreational areas. Our offices are places where it is good to work together. They are brought to life with works of art and objects from the Coca-Cola collection which inspires us to create, think differently and innovate”.
The approach resulted in an array of interesting and inspiring features including:
- Workstations whose configuration can be adjusted by the user, offering flexibility for occupants, encouraging collaborative working and individual style
- Storage cabinets topped with depolluting plants designed to improve air quality as well as create a natural ambience and decor
- Sustainable material choices including FSC certified timber
- Interior finishes chosen to limit VOC emissions
- Highly efficient indoor LED lighting activated by presence detectors and managed in relation to natural light. 13,000 recycled Coke bottles used to create a special lighting feature in as shared workspace
- Office areas equipped with radiant ceiling (heating and cooling) connected to geothermal system
- Hens in the garden on the ground floor, feeding on any food waste from the staff restaurant
- Hives on the roof for honey bees
This hard work and inspiration was rewarded when Coca-Cola achieved a BREEAM Outstanding rating for the fit-out, achieving a score of 90.2%, the first Outstanding rating to be achieved on a dedicated office fit-out anywhere in Europe.
BREEAM Facts – Fit-Out
- BREEAM Scheme: Europe Commercial (Offices) 2009 – Fit-Out
- Rating: Outstanding, 90.2%
- Client: Coca-Cola France
- BREEAM Assessor: Astrance
- Interiors: Studios Architecture
- Project Manager: CBRE
- Main contractor: Superbuild
Noda – an Outstanding achievement from start to finish
The BREEAM Outstanding fit-out by Coca Cola followed the achievement of a BREEAM Outstanding rating for the shell of the building achieved by investor Wereldhave. Overall, Noda is a wonderful office development, in many ways. It has all the innovative facilities one might expect for a modern sustainable office building, like geothermal energy, wind turbines, solar lighting, water recycling, cool beams, solar thermal hot water and digital equipment (for the Building Management System, security, and public areas). The building was recently acquired by investor Primonial.
Noda’s accessibility is also a strength, with the metro and RER station nearby. Office workers enjoy the benefits of the availability of electric car plugs, bicycle storage with lockers and showers and a car sharing platform. A nice touch is the traffic jam information system that has been installed in the building’s lift system.
The ‘green’ quality of Noda also translates into the landscaping and ecology of its surroundings. The common areas offer a large variety of plants and fruit trees. The gardens provide meeting points for sunny summer days.
Noda has already proven to be a welcoming area for the occupiers, including Coca Cola, with a second tenant due to move in early 2016. Noda offers two large areas for catering and meetings, including a conference room. There is also an additional bonus – an amazing roof deck fitted with a vegetable garden. Employees can have meetings here – or simply relax during breaks – with unique views over Paris and Saint-Germain.
BREEAM Facts – Shell
- BREEAM Scheme: Europe Commercial (Offices) 2009 – Shell
- Rating: Outstanding, 93.2%
- Investor/Landlord: Wereldhave/Primonial
- BREEAM Assessor: Alto Ingenierie
- Developer: BNP Paribas Immobilier
- Architect: Jean-Paul Viguier et Associés
- Investor Advisors: Greenaffair – Michigan Architect – Arcanum/Kyrnos B.S. Conseils